- The Uganda Peoples’ Defence Forces (UPDF) in a joint operation with the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo (FARDC) operating in Mwalika Valley in North Kivu province of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) had contact last night on 17th July 2023 with the notorious Allied Democratic Forces group under the command of Abu Waqas where 14 women were rescued. The contact was at the confluence of River Talha and Semliki.
- Among those captured in the group is a Burundi National who also served as Abu Waqas’s wife and has been in the ADF ranks for five years.
- The joint forces are still pursuing the group. Abu Waqas’s group is responsible for the killing of 37 students of Lhubiriha Senior Secondary School on the 16th of June 2023.
Major General Dick Olum Holds Meeting With Major General Kasongo Maloba
- Meanwhile, the UPDF Operation Shujaa commander Maj Gen Dick Olum has held a meeting with the FARDC Beni sector commander Maj Gen Kasongo Maloba at the UPDF Operation Shujaa tactical headquarters in Kasindi.
- The commanders discussed Operation Shujaa-related issues and gave commanders operational and tactical guidance.
- The meeting also served as a pre-review meeting to prepare for the quarterly Operation Shujaa review meeting soon in Fort Portal City – Uganda.
- Both commanders hailed the UPDF/FARDC Joint operation for the successes against the ADF.
- Brigade commanders from both UPDF and FARDC under Operation Shujaa attended the meeting.